Illinois Man Warns Of Hoverboard Danger After His House Was Destroyed By The Device [Video]

A man from the state of Illinois has sent a strong message to the public: The presence of a hoverboard in your home poses a great danger to your lives and properties.

Lithium-ion batteries are used to power hoverboards. It is said the batteries make the devices very volatile. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has said that hoverboards have caused more than $2 million worth of damage to properties in the United States. The CPSC warned in early February, that consumers risk serious injury or death if their self-balancing scooters ignite and burn.

The man who has been affected by the damage the hoverboard caused, Dan Perper, lives in the suburban area of Highland Park, Lake County. He returned home recently from a drive, and when he opened the door to his house, he saw his wife’s jacket burning, with smoke filling the whole room.

He called for emergency help, and firefighters quickly responded, extinguishing the fire within just a few minutes. After the incident, Perper and his family were left wondering what had caused the fire in the room.

s 2

However, footage released from a CCTV camera in the room shows that an explosion happened first, and the room quickly filled with smoke while the flames spread to other parts of the room.

Perper revealed that the thing that exploded and caused the fire was a hoverboard, which was given to him by somebody as a Christmas gift last year. He said the device was not even working, and he decided to just leave it in the room. According to ABC7 News, the video shows how spontaneously destructive a hoverboard can be when the batteries explode, producing a fireball and intense flames. Experts later confirmed that the lithium-ion batteries in the device exploded, causing the fire outbreak.

Nobody was injured in the fire, but the family’s dog is said to have suffered smoke inhalation. Due to the damage caused by the fire, the family will have to stay away from the house for some months. The house needs to be renovated.

To alert the public about the dangers of the seemingly simple device, Perper is now urging owners of the device to stop using them before it kills them or damages their properties.

Perper narrated his feelings during the fire outbreak at his house to ABC7 News. He said: “I stood there watching my house burn. I had no idea what smoke damage could do but we’re probably out of the house for about a year. I am very scared for people because I know many people bought these at the holidays. My theory is that we will start seeing an abundance of explosions.”

Perper also took to Facebook to tell the rest of the world what happened to him, warning people about what the device can do to them. He wrote: “We will see deaths. We need to do anything we can to limit these disasters. I am going to find out how [hoverboards] can be safely disposed of and will post when I know.”

1 Comment on Illinois Man Warns Of Hoverboard Danger After His House Was Destroyed By The Device [Video]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*