This information I feel is very relevant to potentially everyone but specifically those whom may be living in poverty or have limited resources around the world. Oranges and simple bread are two of the most universally common household kitchen items. But did you know that oranges and bread are capable of producing penicillin simply by letting letting them sit around and age? Believe it or not, that green disgusting mold which develops on the surface of bread is actually called Penicillium.
It is time for a thought experiment: You are living in the middle of the zombie apocalypse. In a dash your partner has deeply slashed their leg. As you take shelter the next few days your partner begins to develop a noticeable infection. Keeping in mind that in real world cases infections can result in serious medical concerns, loss of a limb or death if left untreated, without access to modern medical supplies would you know what to do to help your partner? Here is one cheap and easy way to potentially save your partner from these fates.
- Take bread and place it in a bag or container
- Let sit until spores begin to form
- Take all the bread and break it up into smaller pieces
- Add some moisture (light misting) and place the broken up pieces back in the same sealed bag or container
- Monitor the mold growth and do not remove until the majority of the mold culture begins to turn decidedly green.
Google Images: Penicillium Mold. From www.pbs.com